Counselor Dispositional Expectations
Dispositions are the values, commitments, and professional ethics that influence behaviors toward others, and, if sincerely held, dispositions lead to actions and patterns of professional conduct. The Grand Canyon University Counseling Program’s dispositions adhere to the University’s mission statement, as well as to the established counseling profession codes of ethics.
The Grand Canyon University Counseling Program have adopted the following dispositions for its students derived from the American Counseling Association (ACA) Code of Ethics. Although these dispositions are not all inclusive, they do represent values and qualities that are warranted by counseling students. Students who fail to adhere to or demonstrate such dispositions may be subject to disciplinary actions.
· Psychological Fitness: Counselors* are aware and assess their motives for pursuing the counseling profession. They are aware of their unfinished emotional and/or mental health issues, and resolve them before starting to provide counseling services to others. Counselors engage in self-care and seek resolutions to issues that arise during their practice. Counselors adhere to the American Counseling Association (ACA) Code of Ethics and/or the NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals Code of Ethics.
· Self-Awareness: Counselors are aware of their personal moral, ethical, and value systems and provide counseling services with objectivity, justice, fidelity, veracity, and benevolence. Counselors are acutely aware of their personal limitations in providing services, and are willing to refer clients to another provider when necessary.
· Cultural Diversity: Counselors respect, engage, honor, and embrace diversity and a multicultural approach that supports the worth, dignity, potential, and uniqueness of people within their social and cultural context. Counselors promote self-advocacy and assist clients in advocating for empowerment within their cultural context.
· Acceptance: Counselors foster a healthy climate of change by providing and promoting acceptance, and a nonjudgmental environment during the therapeutic process. They understand their personal value system and do not impose their values, attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors on their clients.
· Empathy: Counselors foster understanding, compassion, and avoid any actions that can cause harm to a client. Counselors treat others with dignity and respect.
· Genuineness: Counselors deal truthfully with themselves and their clients, in order to avoid harming their clients.
· Flexibility: Counselors practice a client-centered approach, and align treatment to the client’s goals for therapy.
· Patience: Counselors understand the therapeutic process and respect client’s efforts to gain control over their lives. Counselors encourage an environment that promotes self-empowerment and allows client’s voice in the therapeutic process.
· Amiability: Counselors do not support or engage in any act of discrimination against a prospective, current, or former client. Counselors promote and practice social justice and do not exploit others in their professional relationships.
· Professional Identity: Counselors adhere to regulatory state boards and nationally recognized codes of ethics. Counselors practice only within their scope and competencies. They seek to utilize best practices and empirically supported treatments. Counselors stay current with the counseling profession through seeking continuing education, and by supporting counseling associations.
* The term counselor is used to refer to counselors in training at the graduate level.
American Counseling Association (2014). ACA Code of Ethics. Alexandria, VA: Author.
Walz, G. R., & Bleuer, J. C. (2010). Counselor dispositions: An added dimension for admission decisions. Vistas Online publication, 1, 11-11.
Counseling Disposition Reflection Worksheet
Directions: Review the dispositions document and select three dispositions that you currently meet. Complete the chart by listing the dispositions met as well as a description of how the disposition is met. Each description response should be 75-100 words in length. Please note: you do not need to be actively practicing to complete this worksheet.
Description of how the disposition is met
Directions: Now that you have identified dispositions that you currently meet, review the disposition document again and consider any dispositions that you do not meet. Complete the chart below by adding the two dispositions you do not meet as well as a preliminary plan in regards to how you plan to improve the identified dispositions. Each description response should be 75-100 words in length.
Description of how you plan to improve the disposition
View this related post: Week 3 Discussion 2 Metacognitive Activities.
Why Choose Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
Keeping in mind your instructions and guidelines, our writers ensure to do extensive research before beginning to write. Unique and quality paper is our top priority.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
Our team of writers and editors have many years of experience in academic writing. They are native English speakers and able to handle any academic task with ease.
Free Unlimited Revisions
We offer free unlimited revision to our clients. Whenever you feel the need to revise your work submit to our able editors. Our editors will ensure that your paper will be revised to meet your guidelines.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
As a team we work hard to ensure a timely delivery of your papers. All you need to do is specify the time frame that you want you paper be submitted. We will work round the clock to beat the deadline.
Original & Confidential
We value your confidentiality and all our payment method are secure. We also use high end writing tools to ensure that all papers delivered are unique.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support team are available 24/7 to accept your orders and queries. We are committed to provide you with the best customer experience.
What Our Paper Writing Service Guarantees
You do not have to worry on what to expect because at mypaperwriterspro.com we guarantee you;
Our team of writers and editors is composed of people with diverse writing experiences. All of them have a Ph.D. They are all Ph.D. or M.A. graduates with extensive experience in academic and essay writing. We offer high-quality, original academic writing at an affordable cost.
Every order is written from scratch. We ensure that your papers conform to English conventions and the requirements of your discipline. To ensure originality, we also perform originality checks on all academic papers. Our success rate is 99% and many of our clients achieves their desired grades.
Mypaperwriterspro has a strict anti-plagiarism policy. To ensure that your paper is not flagged as plagiarism, we take extra precautions when writing it. Professional plagiarism detection software is used by our custom paper experts.
Mypaperwriterspro takes the privacy of clients' information very seriously. Mypaperwriterspro does not disclose any information about our transactions with third-party services. Nobody will ever know that you have hired our paper writing service to help with your paper.
Our website offers online security for our customers. Your passwords and personal information are protected and cannot be accessed by anyone else. Our customers are assured that their accounts will not be compromised by hackers. Learn more about the data that we store and how it is used in our privacy statement.
When you order our paper service, you get unlimited free revisions and unlimited drafts. We will ensure that you submit flawless papers. Our paper help website allows you to request multiple revisions.
If the order form indicates that modifications or adjustments are required, only those should be made. These guidelines include, but are not limited to:
You can reach us by email, phone, and live chat. We are always interested in hearing from our customers. We welcome any feedback regarding our paper assistance service. Our customer service representatives are available 24/7, even on holidays and weekends. They can help you place orders, check the status of your order, answer questions, or simply provide information.
Chat with your paper specialist via our live chat. Our professionals are available for unlimited chats. All your questions will be answered within minutes
Do you still feel dissatisfied with your final paper? Don't worry. Mypaperwriterspro is committed to customer satisfaction.
Although it is rare, you can request a partial or full refund if your final paper is not written to your satisfaction. Mypaperwriterspro views our money-back guarantee more as a right than a benefit.
We believe that our clients deserve the best paper services available online. We offer a simple and straightforward refund process if you are not satisfied with the paper.