English homework help: This is an extremely important topic that speaks to the principle we covered in week 1: respect. When we avoid biased language, we treat others in the ways they want to be treated and address them with their preferred labels, showing them that they are our equals in terms of their ideas and their backgrounds. Once one party opens the doors to disrespect, it is difficult to get back to a civil exchange, and so it is important to understand what biased language is and how to avoid it. If we believe in equality and diversity, two values of the dominant culture of the United States, we try to avoid bias. Here, the concept of implicit bias is explained – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQGIgohunVw.
As you do your post, consider how this form of bias might find its way into the ways we speak. Before you start working on this post, you must Read chapter 4 in Bevan, with special focus on section 4.1. Watch the video on biased language, which reiterates many of the points from Bevan. After you have read the chapter and watched the video, you will do the following:
1) Using Bevan (Section 4.1), define and explain biased language. An explanation goes deeper than a definition to touch on meaning and significance. Explanations offer examples to illustrate points.
2) Share an example of biased language you saw in a computer-mediated interaction. If you don’t have a personal example, comment sections at the end of news articles often have biased language.
3) How does biased language REFLECT the attitudes, behaviors, and perception of the sender? This is where the question becomes more challenging. Think through how the biased language you are examining shows an “attitude” about a topic. Attitudes are someone’s position on a topic and typically involve some kind of assessment of right or wrong, good or bad. Then, think about behavior. Is the speech itself a form of behavior? Might a person’s spoken words reflect how they behave outside of the use of those words? Finally, you will address perception. Perception is the process of giving meaning to what we observe with our senses. It allows us to make sense of the worlds around us and our ideas. How does biased language reveal the ways users of biased language organize and see the world?
4) How might biased language IMPACT the attitudes, behaviors, and perception of the receiver of the content and/or the sender? Think about what attitudes, behaviors and perceptions are and how hearing biased language can change the way the receiver (listener/observer) understands the message. For instance, if I hear someone using sexist language, I will develop a negative attitude toward the person and it will reinforce my beliefs that the person is unfair in the ways that they think. It violates my values of equality and diversity. In terms of behavior, I might avoid speaking to the person in the future or, when I do, I will be prepared to debate the person. Finally, in terms of perception, I will “organize” the person in my mind as “sexist” or even as a “bigot.” I will perceive the content as a reinforcement of some dangerous ideas that could disrupt my sense of what progress is in the modern world.
5) What is the significance of biased language in computer-mediated contexts specifically? When thinking through this question, consider the following: Why does all of this matter? Is the intent of using biased language to shut others down? To make them feel belittled? Miscommunication is when a message is not received in the way the user intended. Does biased language often result in miscommunication because the receiver, if they don’t agree with the biases, will experience psychological noise and no longer be able to fully listen to the person? Does biased language automatically hurt the receiver? Does this depend on the receiver’s self-concept or self-esteem? With regard to the computer-mediated elements, think about whether the use of computers creates a buffer for those using biased language and emboldens them to speak in ways they would not in face-to-face conversations.
Why Choose Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
Keeping in mind your instructions and guidelines, our writers ensure to do extensive research before beginning to write. Unique and quality paper is our top priority.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
Our team of writers and editors have many years of experience in academic writing. They are native English speakers and able to handle any academic task with ease.
Free Unlimited Revisions
We offer free unlimited revision to our clients. Whenever you feel the need to revise your work submit to our able editors. Our editors will ensure that your paper will be revised to meet your guidelines.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
As a team we work hard to ensure a timely delivery of your papers. All you need to do is specify the time frame that you want you paper be submitted. We will work round the clock to beat the deadline.
Original & Confidential
We value your confidentiality and all our payment method are secure. We also use high end writing tools to ensure that all papers delivered are unique.
Customer Support 24/7
Our customer support team are available 24/7 to accept your orders and queries. We are committed to provide you with the best customer experience.
What Our Paper Writing Service Guarantees
You do not have to worry on what to expect because at mypaperwriterspro.com we guarantee you;
Our team of writers and editors is composed of people with diverse writing experiences. All of them have a Ph.D. They are all Ph.D. or M.A. graduates with extensive experience in academic and essay writing. We offer high-quality, original academic writing at an affordable cost.
Every order is written from scratch. We ensure that your papers conform to English conventions and the requirements of your discipline. To ensure originality, we also perform originality checks on all academic papers. Our success rate is 99% and many of our clients achieves their desired grades.
Mypaperwriterspro has a strict anti-plagiarism policy. To ensure that your paper is not flagged as plagiarism, we take extra precautions when writing it. Professional plagiarism detection software is used by our custom paper experts.
Mypaperwriterspro takes the privacy of clients' information very seriously. Mypaperwriterspro does not disclose any information about our transactions with third-party services. Nobody will ever know that you have hired our paper writing service to help with your paper.
Our website offers online security for our customers. Your passwords and personal information are protected and cannot be accessed by anyone else. Our customers are assured that their accounts will not be compromised by hackers. Learn more about the data that we store and how it is used in our privacy statement.
When you order our paper service, you get unlimited free revisions and unlimited drafts. We will ensure that you submit flawless papers. Our paper help website allows you to request multiple revisions.
If the order form indicates that modifications or adjustments are required, only those should be made. These guidelines include, but are not limited to:
You can reach us by email, phone, and live chat. We are always interested in hearing from our customers. We welcome any feedback regarding our paper assistance service. Our customer service representatives are available 24/7, even on holidays and weekends. They can help you place orders, check the status of your order, answer questions, or simply provide information.
Chat with your paper specialist via our live chat. Our professionals are available for unlimited chats. All your questions will be answered within minutes
Do you still feel dissatisfied with your final paper? Don't worry. Mypaperwriterspro is committed to customer satisfaction.
Although it is rare, you can request a partial or full refund if your final paper is not written to your satisfaction. Mypaperwriterspro views our money-back guarantee more as a right than a benefit.
We believe that our clients deserve the best paper services available online. We offer a simple and straightforward refund process if you are not satisfied with the paper.